Founded In 1874
Founded by Gustav Augustus Johnson, a Swedish immigrant carpenter, G.A. Johnson & Son got its start in 1874.
Shortly after the Civil War, the firm began constructing railroad stations that stretched west from Chicago to Seattle, south to New Orleans and north to Minneapolis. Since then, G.A. Johnson & Son has continued to build its reputation on enthusiasm and perseverance.
Incorporated in 1915
In 1915, G.A. Johnson & Son was incorporated in the state of Illinois. Since its founding 142 years ago, it has been in constant operation by the same family. Currently in its seventh generation of owners, the firm ranks as one of the oldest privately held construction companies in the nation.
Today, G.A. Johnson & Son is recognized as one of Chicago’s premier full-service construction companies, completing more than 3500 projects over its history. The firm offers a wide array of delivery methods including design/build, general construction and construction management services, as well as preconstruction services such as value engineering, budgeting, and constructability reviews.
The company operates in six states and builds commercial office buildings, corporate interiors, retail establishments, food and drug stores, banking facilities, warehouse and distribution centers, health and educational facilities, community centers, residential estates and more.